The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971…before computers, before e-mail, before cell phones, etc.
Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took 1 year or less to become the law of the land…all because of public pressure.
I’m asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.
In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one idea that really should be passed around.
Congressional Reform Act of 2011
1. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.
2. All Senate and House of Representatives members (past, present & future) will participate in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and all Congress men and women participate at the same level as the American people. Funds collected may not be used for any other purpose or programs.
3. Congress men and women can purchase their own retirement plan and will pay the same rates as all Americans do.
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will be determined by the individual states they represent every two years with the raises limited to the lower of CPI or 3%. with no special adjustments.
5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the states they represent and the American people.
6. Congress will equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people. No provisions for special treatment will be allowed.
7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.
If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S. ) to receive the message. Maybe it is time.
THIS IS HOW WE BEGIN TO FIX CONGRESS AND OUR COUNTRY.
If you agree with the above, pass it on. If not, just delete.
Apparently my toddler did not read any baby/toddler books. She spent all her time goofing off and doing summersaults while in utero. She obviously missed the chapter about sleep; where she is supposed to sleep 10-12 hours a day.